Friday, August 21, 2015

Honest Expectations of Motherhood & Parenting: Perceptions From a New Mom


When I was 35 weeks pregnant, I decided to put my naive perceptions out there about what I thought motherhood and parenting would be like. I'm definitely not an expert 4 weeks after my son was born, but I thought it would be neat to go back and comment on these ideas as I experience motherhood and parenthood.
  1. I will be tired as a stay-at-home mom, but it will be nice having a flexible schedule during the day to squeeze in mundane tasks such as grocery shopping, doctor appointments, oil changes, etc. 4 Weeks Postpartum - I LOVE being a stay-at-home-mom! I don't miss working and I love being able to get house work done and other mundane tasks!
  2. Grocery shopping will be a breeze since I will wear my baby in my ergo carrier to keep my cart empty (more room for food) and my hands free. 4 Weeks Postpartum - I have yet to grocery shop with my son, and I tried putting him in our baby carrier today, but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.
  3. I will nail down a great schedule that works well for me, baby and dad. 4 Weeks Postpartum - Yesterday was the first day I tried to get Graham on a schedule and it was the worst possible timing! He was in a terrible mood, crying a bunch and not wanting to nap, so we'll try again another day.
  4. I will set aside time everyday to get housework done while baby is in the swing or napping. 4 Weeks Postpartum - This has actually been pretty easy on days when Graham naps!
  5. I will take time for myself to blog, look through helpful Pinterest pins, meal plan, work on our budget, and do daily devotions. 4 Weeks Postpartum -  This has also been pretty easy, again, with how well my son naps...on days that he naps.
  6. Breastfeeding will be pleasant and after practice we will get it down pat. (I cringe actually typing this one out, hoping not to jinx myself!) 4 Weeks Postpartum -  Yeah....this can be explained here.
  7. I will have dinner ready when my husband comes home from work. 4 Weeks Postpartum - This has somewhat been true, but even 4 weeks postpartum we've still been blessed to have lived off of meals and leftovers from friends and family. We are just now at a point where our fridge has been cleaned out and I can finally start cooking again.
  8. We will have healthier meals now that I will have more time to cook. 4 Weeks Postpartum - This hasn't happened nor not happened just yet so I'll keep you posted!
  9. Baby and I will take walks everyday in the stroller (maybe walk at the mall in the winter months) and we will attend classes and mommy-baby activities. 4 Weeks Postpartum - We do take stroller rides and Graham loves them, but we're still working around so many visitors so it hasn't been the easiest to get a ride in everyday. I also am getting ready to join a local mom's club that has activities for mom's and their children, such as visiting fire stations, having ice cream socials and going apple picking.
  10. I will make tons of mommy friends and my husband and I will become friends with parents that have kids the same age as ours. 4 Weeks Postpartum - So far...this hasn't happened yet, but once I join the mom's club it might be easier.
  11. In the summer months baby and I will play outside. 4 Weeks Postpartum - I knew this wouldn't happen this year, since the summer is almost over and Graham is still an infant but I have hopes of this happening in the future.
  12. We will refrain from showing our child TV and electronics until they are at least one years old to prevent over-stimulation. 4 Weeks Postpartum - So far so good on this one, but it will be interesting to see where we are with this goal in 6 months or a year.
  13. We will teach our children to be well behaved and quiet in church. 4 Weeks Postpartum - Graham will attend church for the first time this weekend, but until he's at least 6 months old, I don't think we will really be able to teach him proper manners and behavior, but we can try!
  14. We will use baby-led weaning when it's time to start our children on solid foods. 4 Weeks Postpartum - This is not something that we can work on until closer to 5 or 6 months old so I'll let you know how this goes when it gets closer!
  15. We will be very involved, but not helicopter, parents. 4 Weeks Postpartum - I would like to think we don't hover yet, but it's quite hard with how cute and sweet Graham is! Maybe when he's not so new we will hover less? (yeah right!)
  16. We will teach our children manners, self control, and the importance of faith and family. 4 Weeks Postpartum - Until he's at least 6 months old, I don't think we will really be able to teach him proper manners and behavior, but we can try!
It's already pretty neat to look at this list and see how my perceptions have changed! I can't wait to see how these ideas change as Graham gets older and Andrew and I get more parenting experience under our belts! 

Happy Living & God's Blessings!
J.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment