Thursday, June 18, 2015

Honest Expectations of Motherhood & Parenting: Perceptions From a Naive Mother-to-be


I am almost 35 weeks pregnant, but I can tell you that I've had my ideas of what exactly motherhood and parenting would be like way before I even found out I was pregnant. I decided to risk embarrassment and list out what I think motherhood and parenting will be like BEFORE I'm actually a parent and then join you in laughing at my naivety a few weeks, months, or even years down the road. To defend myself a bit, I do realize that motherhood isn't endless mornings or breakfast in bed and parenthood isn't all about sleeping in and having perfectly behaved children, but let's see if I am on point with anything pre-parenthood!

  1. I will be tired as a stay-at-home mom, but it will be nice having a flexible schedule during the day to squeeze in mundane tasks such as grocery shopping, doctor appointments, oil changes, etc.
  2. Grocery shopping will be a breeze since I will wear my baby in my ergo carrier to keep my cart empty (more room for food) and my hands free.
  3. I will nail down a great schedule that works well for me, baby and dad.
  4. I will set aside time everyday to get housework done while baby is in the swing or napping.
  5. I will take time for myself to blog, look through helpful Pinterest pins, meal plan, work on our budget, and do daily devotions.
  6. Breastfeeding will be pleasant and after practice we will get it down pat. (I cringe actually typing this one out, hoping not to jinx myself!)
  7. I will have dinner ready when my husband comes home from work.
  8. We will have healthier meals now that I will have more time to cook.
  9. Baby and I will take walks everyday in the stroller (maybe walk at the mall in the winter months) and we will attend classes and mommy-baby activities.
  10. I will make tons of mommy friends and my husband and I will become friends with parents that have kids the same age as ours. 
  11. In the summer months baby and I will play outside.
  12. We will refrain from showing our child TV and electronics until they are at least one years old to prevent over-stimulation.
  13. We will teach our children to be well behaved and quiet in church.
  14. We will use baby-led weaning when it's time to start our children on solid foods.
  15. We will be very involved, but not helicopter, parents.
  16. We will teach our children manners, self control, and the importance of faith and family.
I realize that my list could go on and on, but I figure this is a good place to start. Here's to hoping I can get this motherhood thing down and Andrew and I can be great parents! But maybe the real lesson here is that great motherhood and parenting are unattainable, as they are skills that require constant growth. I'll let you know in a few months!

Happy Living & God's Blessings!
J.M.


No comments:

Post a Comment