Friday, October 16, 2015

Stay-At-Home-Mom Tips & Tricks

I'm just about 3 months into being a full-time stay-at-home-mom (SAHM) and there are a few tips and tricks I feel somewhat qualified to share, but most of these are recent revelations.

Pick days to stay in, days to run errands - This idea just hit me, and I'm not quite sure why I hasn't thought of this idea before. Every time I needed to run an errand or decided that I wanted to take Graham to go visit a family member, we would just pick up and go, regardless of Graham's schedule, but then I always seemed perplexed when he wouldn't nap well or eat regularly the rest of the day. Duh mom! Since I drew this conclusion (yesterday), I have decided to run errands, visit family, schedule appointments, and sign up for mommy-baby activities on Wednesdays and Fridays (if at all possible). On Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays, we will plan to stay in and play, read and do chores. This will make our lives a bit more predictable and will help to establish a routine for both Graham and I.


Join an activity - I looked up free activities at our local library and found this awesome mommy and baby class. It's only 30 minutes but we get to sing, play, move our bodies and meet other babies and moms. I love it! We may also consider taking mommy and baby swim lessons. Joining an activity helps to break up the monotony of the day and it also helps you and your baby grow socially. 

Pick days to give baths - I'm about to sound like a terrible mother, but until I ingeniously thought of this strategy, again, another duh moment, I would forget to bathe my child! Isn't that awful?! I can remember to bathe myself every day....but I couldn't remember of find to bathe my son but every week or so! So I came up with the solution to pick two days a week that he gets a bath. This will help us build a routine and help me set aside time to do it! I've chosen Tuesday and Friday nights.

Pick days to do certain chores (this isn't my thing but it might work for you) - Scheduling specific chores on specific days can be a great way to make sure that your tasks get completed and that you manage your time wisely. For example, it may work for you to schedule laundry on Mondays and Wednesdays. Personally, I'm a planner, but I think if I try to schedule which chores I accomplish which days, I may find myself being less efficient. The key to chore days is to be as efficient and productive as possible.

Meal Plan - Meal planning can really eliminate shopping guess work and spoiled food, over spending on groceries, and the whole "what's for dinner" question. Set aside 15 minutes to write out meals on your calendar, look through your pantry and fridge to assess what food/ingredients you have or need and then drafting your grocery list.

Volunteer - Before you look at your screen in confusion thinking, "When on earth do I have TIME to volunteer? Does this lady have any clue what I do all day long?" Yes! I'm a very busy mom too, however, I get a sense of accomplishment when I know I can take some time, when I have it, to help others. For instance, a friend of mine works at a local pregnancy care center and asked if I had any time throughout the week to hand address 180 envelopes (all in the comforts of my own home). I said yes and I finished the task in 3 days, spending about 15 minutes a day (during my son's naps) to get the task done. It is possible ladies! 

Small Group Bible Study - My husband and I recently joined a small group Bible study with two other couples. We meet once every two weeks, our study lasts for about an hour to an hour and a half, and we take turns hosting the Bible study in our homes. We are currently studying the book of Ephesians and since the chapters are shorter, we read the chapter aloud as a group. I find being part of a small group Bible study enhances my Biblical knowledge, gives my husband and I another common activity, encourages fellowship, it guarantees a time for me to spend in God's word and working on my relationship with Him (which I need help with on busy days!), and it gives my husband and I a great little group of friends who share similar values to hang out with.  

When you have tasks to get done around the house but your baby is awake... - Put baby on a blanket on the floor next to where you're working, put baby in a swing where he or she can see you, or put baby in the Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat! Check out my product review here!


Exercise when you wake up - I gained 35lbs when I was pregnant with Graham. Thankfully, 25lbs fell off on their own, but the extra 10lbs plus the extra 40lbs I had before I got pregnant needs to go! I find it easiest to exercise in the morning, after I change and feed my son and before I take a shower. I've fallen in LOVE with Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guides (BBG) along with calorie counting using my FitBit app and can I just confess that this is the only workout and eating plan that I have stuck to? EVER! It is soooo important to find a workout and eating life change that you like! If you don't like it, you will feel like you're punishing yourself and you will find every excuse to not follow through with it. Explore different exercise options, DVD's, YouTube, gym membership, yoga classes, CrossFit, you name it! EXPLORE! 

On an additional note, did you know that Mayo Clinic recommends a baby "3- to 4-month-old baby, some research suggests aiming for at least 20 minutes of tummy time a day"? Unfortunately, I was terrible about accomplishing this until I decided to incorporate Graham's tummy time workout into my own workout! Kayla Itsines (BBG) instructs you to do 4 circuits of her workouts on circuit days and they each last about 7 minutes. Since I keep Graham awake for one hour at a time, I lay him down on a blanket (on his back) while I do my first 7 minutes circuit, and then I break from my workout to flip him over and give him a few minutes of tummy time, repeating this until my 4 circuits are done. By the time I'm done working out, he's tired and just about ready to lay down again for his nap (then I squeeze in a quick shower!).

Wash your clothes with baby clothes to save time - Many families with little ones buy special baby laundry detergent, for sensitive baby skin, which means that they do separate laundry loads, one for baby's clothes, the other for everyone else. Our family decided to buy Tide Free and Gentle laundry detergent, which is hypoallergenic and free of dyes and perfumes, so that we could wash everyone clothes at once, saving us time and money! **side note: I don't even separate my white and dark clothes when I do laundry, I surely don't have the time nor the inclination to do so and shockingly, my family has survived! I do however take precautions if I'm washing a brightly colored clothing item for the first time so the colors don't bleed** 



Do you have great stay-at-home-mom tips & tricks? I would love to hear about them!


Happy Living & God's Blessings!
J.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment